Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Ruth A Simrell: 1907-1987


Idella Bailey (mother) and Ruth


Ruth A Simrell 1907-1987
Married 1925
Herman Lee ?
One Daughter:
Bonnie Ruth

I don’t know a lot about Ruth and her younger days in Tennessee or the date she moved to Chicago, IL.  However, being the oldest child of Reese and Idella she may have been the first child to move to Chicago. 
I do remember going to visit her.  She was the landlord of an apartment building in downtown Chicago.  My father John, lived in her basement apartment when he first moved to Chicago.
I do remember, she was a kind lady always trying to help a stranger in need.  She had a daughter named Bonnie with her first husband Herman Lee. I never met Herman.   Bonnie, was an only child.

Ruth married the second time to George Brumlik in 1934.  George owned several shoe stores in downtown Chicago and was a very successful businessman.  I remember as a child my Father taking my brother Craig and me to their shoe store and buying shoes.  The store had an x-ray machine; you put on the shoes, then put your feet into the machine.  You could see your feet thru the shoe, this insured the perfect fit.  It was very cool for the time! 
I don’t know why but Ruth divorced George and several years later she married Robert P. Cooper.   Bob was a great guy, just like a big teddy bear, he loved life and loved Ruthie as he called her.  Bob was thirteen-years her junior.
I remember Uncle Bob had a food cart in downtown Chicago and sold hot dogs out of the cart.  The first time I met him was on a visit from Tennessee to Chicago.  My Father had me get out of our car, walk up to his cart and order One-Hundred hot dogs to go, while my parents and brother set in the car and watched his facial expression,  Priceless!

Ruth loved all animals but especially cats and her favorite cat was named Topper. Topper, was a calico cat and weighed thirty-one pounds, he was beautiful! 
After Reese died, I remember Alma moving in with Ruth.  Ruth cared for Alma until Alma's death in 1974.
Ruth died Feb. 27, 1987

No comments:

Post a Comment